F.D. Sweet came from New York to Glenn County, California and opened his first family mortuary in 1928. To further serve the community, his son opened a second location in a downtown Orland storefront in 1936. They actually built a larger location in 1948. This was at the present site of 825 A Street and was meant to serve the larger community of the northern Sacramento Valley. In 1970, the Sweet Family sold to long time employee, Jack Martin and his wife, Pat,who operated the mortuary for 34 years. In 2004, James and Suzanne Miller bought the family mortuary, continuing to offer personal service to the residents of the Sacramento Valley, especially the people of Orland, California. Jim’s untimely death in 2016 offered the Olsen family the opportunity to purchase the mortuary in 2017.
Proudly combining their name with the original founder, it has now become Sweet-Olsen Family Mortuary. Sweet-Olsen Family Mortuary continues to be a family owned and independent funeral home. The Olsen’s are proud to become members of the Orland community and serve all of northern Sacramento Valley just as their predecessors did.